Wednesday, September 7, 2011

power to my people

we're plugged in at the quiet Yakima River Campground in Ellensburg. why do i care, you say?  well, we're back to the heat, the mosquitoes as big as my ear, and my peeps will soon have phones that work, obviously they already have an awesome computer that works, and the fridge can again keep my food fresh.  most of all, i can retro blog about the off gridding we've just completed.  we have been Woofing, which is up my alley, but i think it really means "working on organic farms for experience."   or maybe i invented that.  maybe it means "woof woof." or maybe "working on others' farms for experience.."

off to the chicken house. i have to walk on my back legs to be nearly as tall as Nigel and Nikki. but we're woofing.

Nigel and Nikki and I woofed a lot, and my peeps gave it a try. Rahhn overdid it and got to spend two days curled up with me on the couch.  it was great.

the view of Stargazers from our front door
the daily grind...my kind of job.
a little work...
a long day, major accomplishment



cool cruisin'
a little fun...
i've heard dogs don't like tomatoes.  but dudes, they are awesome.  they have the texture of old meat, and they're the color of raw meat, and if you let yourself go there, they taste like steak. trust me.  so this greenhouse full of tomatoes was up my alley.  

weeding in the greenhouse
tomatoes bigger than my head.  heck, bigger than my peeps' heads!


'leeen was a happy camper

the mountain in the east.  Mt. Baker, the beautiful...

the farm has Mt. Baker, a distant postcard of a scene, and goats, cows, chickens, coyotes at night (they invited me to run with them but i think i'll stay in this coach a while longer) and there's a trail in the woods that can't be beat.  we picked blackberries (yes i eat those too. so does Nigel).  there are plenty of slugs to turn over and eat, and lots of dried moles to savor.

when he says "jump" Nikki turns on her back and jumps!
these alternative farmers, off the grid people, who will save the earth, don't eat much meat.  there is a definite lack of flesh and bone. good thing i like tomatoes. in this quiet place, i could run free (Travis Milan taught me to make the decision to walk behind my people and stay close), Nigel and Nikki were always available for a good romp and trample, and i could chase grasshoppers and crickets all day every day.

my peep, her peep (the dog whisperer), and me.  shhh.

oh. the other downside was that the humane society tricked me into having a hysterectomy.  ouch. everything has a bright side (i've heard) so guess what.  they gave me a tatoo beside the slice, and even though it's a simple green stripe, i'm excited because my peeps aren't fond of tatoos and had already said i couldn't have one.  ha ha. i win.


take time to smell the roses (Trav's garden)
ok.  i'm ready for the big road east

1 comment:

  1. Very awesome pics! I enjoyed and laughed and loved all the sweet pics of my dear friends and their homestead. It was good to see you and your peeps! Safe Travels, Que le vaya bien, and we'll catch you around the bend next time! ~Krista

    ReplyDelete