Wednesday, June 15, 2011

ellensburg: the windy city ranch

the trip across eastern washington had some excitement afterall. those canyons, the columbia, the winding road--it proved to be less boring than expected.  suddenly a couple of clouds turned out to be mountains, snow covered and floating really high. which mountains peek over this eastern valley? 



that's not a cloud, it's a mountain...



once here, we settled in for rest and recovery, and we had some great trekking. but then the hurricane started. i need goggles. the wind blows so hard that the trees were actually snapping above our heads when we tried to walk today. it blows my ears straight up and i look like a chihuahua. humiliating.

other than the wind, it's a cool place. we're camped at a working ranch by the Yakima River. no interstate noise. it's a byos kinda place (bring 'yer own shower). we hear resting rodeo bulls singing at night; they're having rest and recovery too. and there are two Huge animals they call horses.
make your own reservation when ya' get here...

toilet and wash stand (no showers)



we explored the town, found Dick and Jane's house, visited an art museum/store, but then my people took me to a pet shop where the owner rigged me up with some sort of head harness to keep me from pulling. i've been depressed ever since. i thought these people liked me...apparently they don't appreciate my pulling them across america.

dudes, i'm going to start eating apples!
i earn my keep.  for example, in moses lake while we parked at walmart for a moment to regroup, i saved their lives. ok. i saved the bus.  someone tried to enter and i ran over and barked with my deepest voice and alerted rahhn, and the person disappeared.  i rest my case. so what if i drag them after the occasional bird, cricket, or butterfly?  head harnesses are barbaric. get me something i need--like goggles.
fields of gold (my favorite color)

draggin' my peeps

time out for a scent trail

my idol could have stood right here...

they say we'll "enjoy" the sun and wind one more day and then head over the last range of mountains. the last pass, and some of us are relieved to say goodbye to the journey and begin the visit. i understand there are two rottweilers who eat small dogs; they are waiting to entertain me. and up north there are two other big guys who don't appreciate my type of being. i plan to win them over. Bear and Payton seemed to warm up to me; and i dare say Buddy fell in love with me, so i will expect the best, adjust if i must. i plan to wag, jump, roll over, and convince them with licking that we can all get along.

if not i'll just pull my peeps back out of there and we'll go back to florida! why did we have to leave florida? i was perfectly happy running down the highway, except for that child's belt around my neck that was strangling me. have i mentioned how i earned the title RoadRunnerDog?  maybe a head harness isn't the worst thing... 

onward. that's my style.

No comments:

Post a Comment